Download This Handbook
Chef Program Handbook
So you’ve gone through the application process, you’ve uploaded your certifications,
had your kitchen verified, and you’re finally a UGottaEat Chef.
Congratulations, and WELCOME!
Purpose of Handbook:
This handbook is meant to be a brief orientation to the UGE brand and a helpful resource for you, our Chef Program Members!
History of UGE:
It all came from Tonya Kinlow, a corporate executive who had a passion for cooking and enjoying great food. It gave her a sense of comfort and feeling of well-being. She and her newly wed husband, certified Executive Chef Craig, envisioned owning and running a local restaurant that gave all of their customers the same feeling. The goal was to build a sense of community… small with local art and local foods where they would serve comforting foods with sustainability in mind, and zero waste as a target. They wanted everyone to enjoy every aspect of the eating and experience including the love and intimate social connection of sharing a meal. As they started planning that venture she thought–How could we make eating comforting, yet healthy foods and a sense of community and family with everyone? What if everyone could cook and share? Why can’t everyone have access to a homemade meal? The moonshot is to make a virtual restaurant with exponential potential to reach anyone who has to eat. Which is of course everyone. That is when UGottaEat was conceived. Developed to open homes, share home cooked meals and show love by giving everyone the opportunity to be a chef and/or have a personal chef via a mobile app.
What is the UGE?
UGE is an app platform that gives unbounded access to homemade and freshly-made-food,appealing specifically to your eating style; made available on-demand through local cooks and chefs and your own personal network. It is for mindful-eaters who prefer healthy, homemade meals and are dissatisfied with the lack of variety, quality, convenience, and availability of fresh, homemade foods in their daily routines.
The UGottaEat mission is to provide everyone with on-demand access to fresh, home-cooked meals. Show Love, Open Homes, & Share meals.
We are a bunch of foodies who want to share our love of eating and cooking with the community. Coming from all backgrounds, ages, industries, we all share a common love of sharing and enjoying healthy, homemade, mindfully created meals. We are not only eating connoisseurs, but we make up a powerhouse of local home cooks & chefs that are eager to learn as a community, build their brands, and take their talents to a new level. We are creating a gathering place for learning, expressing culinary talents, and enjoying homemade, small-batched meals.
UGE Chef Program Benefits:
UGE Provides Chef with:
- Access to the entire network as sales channel
- Marketing and advertising (via web, social media, newsletters)
- Seamless scheduling of meal orders and pick-up through a mobile app
- Secure/guaranteed payment transactions using PayPal
- Management of account & orders
- Monthly financial reports
- Customer reviews, feedback, & communication
- Full access to one-on-one UGE Leadership Team for assistance
- UGE Rates/Discounts at Commercial Kitchens
- Training/Networking Events & Opportunities
- Monthly/Quarterly Showcase Chef Events
Chefs You Can:
- Set prices & Earn income. UGE receives a membership fee and booking fee
- Promote unique cooking passion & style to a target audience.
- Work when you want.
- Create your own dishes & menus
- Bid to prepare requested unique specialty dishes.
- Share meals with care and love.
Chefs General Information:
As a UGottaEat Chef Program Member, you must understand how the laws work in your city. Some cities have law to restrict home businesses, part of city zoning or administrative codes. Others involve first registering, getting a permit, or obtaining licensing before operating a home business. Accepting the UGottaEat Term of Service and activating your membership, you are guaranteeing you are following your local laws and regulations. For more information visit https://ugottaeat.com/chefs-resources/
Cost to Chefs Once UGE Launch:
No Payments/Cost to join. Each chef sets his or her own “take home” price and pays UGottaEat 10% of each sale or a minimum monthly subscription of $9.95/month. Customer Upcharge: UGE will upcharge your customer a service fee of 10%.
After completing a meal and confirming your sales, your payment processes via PayPal the next business day. PayPal transfers to your bank account within 1 to 3 business days
A Delivery option is available in the App for cooks and chefs that deliver, UGE does not provide delivery, but is developing a logistics partner that could be a delivery option for chefs. We encourage you to provide this feature when possible as a value added features to consumers.
Customer Cancels: If a customer cancels their order less than 48 hours before your meal, they will be charged 30% of meal to cover food costs.
Chef Cancels: If a Chef cancels within 48 hours, the customer will be given a credit for the full amount of the order, of which, the total amount will be charged against your (the chefs) account. It is important that customers know once they book a meal with UGE it will be reliable, freshly made and delicious. The more advance notice the better, so your customers have as much time as possible to come up with another plan for family dinner.
Independent contractors. Your compensation is dependent on the times you choose to cook and the prices you set for your meals. TIP** Remember to fill out your 1099-MISC form and account for paying both your federal income taxes and the self-employment tax you owe for Social Security and Medicare.
Hours & Commitment:
Your commitment is up to you. You choose when you want to work.
Create A Team:
TIP**when using your commercial kitchen, create a team to assist you with prep, cooking, packaging. To make it a one person job often is what hikes up the cost to you to use the space.
The kitchen must pass health code regulations as addressed by your current state of residence OR you must use a verified community commercial kitchen that meets this certification.
Setting Your Prices:
You set the price, but utilize us at UGE if you need any help. TIP** set a fair price based on the cost of ingredients, labor, and feedback from your customers. An average meal price based on our competitors is $10 to $20, but it depends on your style and your menu! If you choose to do a la carte, family style, or even cater, and then your prices will certainly vary. Refer to Benchmarking Costs in the Appendix.
How do various memberships work?
Level 1 (free). Members invite their inner circle to join, forming a private circle of trusted friends and family to share meals. The cook creates a meal to share and a profile of meal & description, picture, availability, number of servings, and dine-in, take out or delivery options. Once posted, members are notified that a meal is available for reservations. In Level 1 cooks are NOT paid for meals. This is a sharing platform for those within a private network created by UGE members (friends, family, neighbors, etc.). Friends make a reservation to share meal—pick up, or dine-in. On this level, general membership lets one also request & suggest homemade meals directly to UGE chef program members. This base membership will also have access to purchase food from the Paid Chef Program.
Level 2, Paid Cook/Chef program. Level 2 members are cooks who use the platform to sell meals. At this level, the cooks have all the functionality of Level 1 members, and are able to generate revenue by selling meals and showcasing culinary talent. Eaters who use the app to buy meals are also able to request meals providing a unique value proposition for Homemade Meals On-Demand. Chefs vetted into the UGE Program, pay 10% or $19.95/month fee (at entry point sales) and members pay 10% booking/service fee. Handling charges will be added as necessary for delivery. There is a 60-day introductory period where the monthly minimum fee will not be assessed.
Member Termination Policy:
Commitments to the Chef’s Program:
UGottaEat (UGE) is committed to fostering a casual, accepting atmosphere & community that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices, including harassment. UGE expects that relationships among persons (clients, other members, UGE core leadership team) will likewise be business-like and free from unlawful bias, prejudice and harassment. You are expected to be conscientious, reliable, and honest; to uphold the mission and guidelines in accordance with UGE standards; to be courteous and cooperative with the UGE community, management, customers and other members; and to ensure the integrity and ethical standards of UGE. You will not engage in activities that interfere with the performance of the operating procedures of UGE or those of our partners, app-users, suppliers, and other affiliate parties.
UGE’s policy is to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, or other status protected by applicable law.
You may not interfere with or retaliate against another member who invokes his or her legal rights, or participates in an investigation, and any such retaliation may result in the termination of your membership.
3. Workplace Relationships
No person in a management or supervisory position shall have a romantic or dating relationship with a member whom he or she directly supervises or whose terms or conditions of membership he or she may influence (examples of terms or conditions of employment include promotion, termination, discipline and compensation). The Company will endeavor to exercise discretion in its review of the matter, and the Company may elect to arrange for a suitable change in the working relationship, subject to the approval of UGE’s management. To the extent possible, a manager or supervisor who has had a previous romantic or dating relationship with a subordinate or employee whose terms and conditions he or she may influence will not be involved in decisions relating to that individual’s promotions, raises, termination or other terms and conditions of employment.
4. Substance Abuse
You may not use, possess, distribute, sell or be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs; use over-the-counter or prescription drugs in a manner inconsistent with the legally prescribed amount and accompanying instructions; or improperly or illegally use any inhalant or perceptionaltering substance in the performance of work for UGE to fulfill a customer order or create a post.
Typed or Printed Name
Code of Conduct
- There are certain conducts, which are strictly prohibited on UGE. Failure tocomply with the provisions set forth herein may result in the termination of your access to the Chef Program. Content posted is not illegal, obscene, threatening, defamatory, invasive of privacy, infringing of intellectual property rights, or otherwise injurious to third parties or objectionable and does not consist of or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings, or any form of “spam.” You may not use a false e-mail address, impersonate any person or entity, or otherwise mislead as to the origin of a card or other content. UGE reserves the right (but not the obligation) to remove or edit such content, but does not regularly review posted content. If you do post content or submit material, and unless we indicate otherwise, you grant UGE a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content throughout the world in any manner, format or medium. You grant UGE and sub-licensees the right to use the name that you submit in connection with such content, if they choose. You represent and warrant that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the content that you post; that the content is accurate; that use of the content you supply does not violate this policy and will not cause injury to any person or entity; and that you will indemnify UGE for all claims resulting from content you supply. UGE has the right but not the obligation to monitor and edit or remove any activity or content. UGE takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any content posted by you or any third party.
- Right to access, correct and delete data and to object to data processing Our customers have the right to access, correct and delete personal data relating to them, and to object to the processing of such data, by addressing a written request, at any time. The Company makes every effort to put in place suitable precautions to safeguard the security and privacy of personal data, and to prevent it from being altered, corrupted, destroyed or accessed by unauthorized third parties. However, the Company does not control each and every risk related to the use of the Internet, and therefore warns the Site users of the potential risks involved in the functioning and use of the Internet. The Site may include links to other web sites or other Internet sources. As the Company cannot control these web sites and external sources, the Company cannot be held responsible for the provision or display of these web sites and external sources, and may not be held liable for the content, advertising, products, services or any other material available on or from these web sites or external sources.
- Management of personal data You can view or edit your personal data online for many of our services. You can also make choices about our collection and use of your data. How you can access or control your personal data will depend on which services you use. You can choose whether you wish to receive promotional communications from our store by email, SMS, physical mail, and telephone. If you receive promotional email or SMS messages from us and would like to opt out, you can do so by following the directions in that message. You can also make choices about the receipt of promotional email, telephone calls, and postal mail by visiting and signing into Company Promotional Communications Manager, which allows you to update contact information, manage contact preferences, opt out of email subscriptions, and choose whether to share your contact information with our partners. These choices do not apply to mandatory service communications that are part of certain store services.
- Information we collect Our store collects data to operate effectively and provide you the best experiences with our services. You provide some of this data directly, such as when you create a personal account. We get some of it by recording how you interact with our services by, for example, using technologies like cookies, and receiving error reports or usage data from software running on your device. We also obtain data from third parties (including other companies). For example, we supplement the data we collect by purchasing demographic data from other companies. We also use services from other companies to help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customize certain services to your location. The data we collect depends on the services and features you use.
- How we use your information Our store uses the data we collect for three basic purposes: to operate our business and provide (including improving and personalizing) the services we offer, to send communications, including promotional communications, and to display advertising. In carrying out these purposes, we combine data we collect through the various store services you use to give you a more seamless, consistent and personalized experience. However, to enhance privacy, we have built in technological and procedural safeguards designed to prevent certain data combinations. For example, we store data we collect from you when you are unauthenticated (not signed in) separately from any account information that directly identifies you, such as your name, email address or phone number.
- Sharing your information We share your personal data with your consent or as necessary to complete any transaction or provide any service you have requested or authorized. For example, we share your content with third parties when you tell us to do so. When you provide payment data to make a purchase, we will share payment data with banks and other entities that process payment transactions or provide other financial services, and for fraud prevention and credit risk reduction. In addition, we share personal data among our controlled affiliates and subsidiaries. We also share personal data with vendors or agents working on our behalf for the purposes described in this statement. For example, companies we’ve hired to provide customer service support or assist in protecting and securing our systems and services may need access to personal data in order to provide those functions. In such cases, these companies must abide by our data privacy and security requirements and are not allowed to use personal data they receive from us for any other purpose. We may also disclose personal data as part of a corporate transaction such as a merger or sale of assets.